|Sisters of Mercy arrive in Belmont|
On 1 September 1892 the Sisters of Mercy arrived in Belmont to take possession of their new convent, which at the time, was still under construction. On that day the Sisters began an apostolate that has lasted almost 120 years. Since their arrival they have opened, operated and staffed numerous schools, hospitals, and special care facilities throughout NC. They also support other charities by offering grants through their Foundation.